Saturday, June 14, 2008

Italy 1 - Roumania 1

The European football cup. I am not a fan at all but I follow. I hate soccer, for what it means now in Europe. I hate the supporters. I hate the so-called sport at large, including the Olympic games. Sport now at the international level is only business, money, marketing. It appeals to the basic instincts of ignorant crowds, it fosters the nationalism in its worst dimension. It is again a mean for the power to appease the crowds and divert their attention from the real issues.

Think for a moment at the congratulations sent to athletes who win by Prime Ministers or so. The politicians waiting for them at the airports, the receptions with Presidents…just for fostering nationalism, pride of belonging to a group instead of belonging to the worlds.

Albeit Italian national, I was hoping Roumania would win. To give a big kick in the ass to the fascists of the Italian Northern League, to all the xenofobes, to all those whorefuse to look at the reality of crime in Italy, who forget the Mafia, the Ndrangheta, the Camorra to accuse immigrants of all sins. Who forget that the Italians too were immigrants till not too long ago, all over Europe. And we were complaining about the way the Swiss were treating them, for example.

Yesterday while driving, I listened to the news. The Roumanians were hoping Italy would win to avoid being attacked in the streets. They would not meet in front of screens in the main squares, nor in coffee shops to watch the game. But hidden at home. Roms were building barricades to protect their camps from potential attacks. This is soprt in Italy. This is the Italian football. No wonder Berlusconi owns a club.

I hate sport, I hate the football cups, I hate racism and ignorance.


Photo: 006.blog.lastampa.it

No comments: