Sunday, January 25, 2009

Obama 2: Bravo

I am one of those who did not react to much at Obama’s election. Certainly I spent the night awake to follow the elections, certainly I welcomed the fact that the Democrats gained both houses and that the Republicans lost power.

But I am always doubtful about the Americans, their religious values, their conviction that they are the best and that their role is to lead the world.
So I was waiting to see what Obama would do.

Of couurse I welcomed the decisions taken on the first day and for imposing the return of the USA to the rule of law. But, as I said, all what he had done the first day, was normal, was nothing special. We all welcomed and praised Obama just for being a normal democrat.

However, after three days in power, I can only say Bravo.

Bravo of course for deciding to close Guantanamo.

Bravo for imposing what should be normal: the respect of the Geneva Convention.

Bravo for banning torture.

Bravo for taking immediately an initiative on the Middle East.

Bravo for re-establishing the funding to UNFPA and NGOs working for family planning, without excluding abortions.

Bravo for sending to the world a message of hope. And for showing since the first days in power that he is real and that he is more radical than he had to appear during the presidential election campaign.

Of course the opposition has started. And it will probably be stronger and stronger. Hopefully his supporters will not dump him.

Finally, after so long, a real leader, not an idiot like Berlusconi or Sarkozy or a criminal like Putin and Olmert.

As far as I am concerned, the solution of the Middle East crisis will be the issue for me to determine whether Obama may mean a new start for the world after so many years of regression. Wait and see.

No comments: